The Unique and Diverse MRGNB Guarantee Programs
The first MRGNB Roofing Specification Manual, released in 1991, described enhance technical requirements for built-up roof (BUR) systems to improve operational performance, durability, and longevity. These enhanced systems were eligible for a five-year guarantee that was, and is, financially supported by the installing contractor. It was, and is, also supported by the MRGNB, and by shareholders in the corporation, in the event that the original contractor is unable to respond to a warranted roof system failure.
Today, the MRGNB Guarantee Program offers a broad range of low slope roof system options that have a record of performance in our unique New Brunswick environment. We also offer, in partnership with our participating manufacturers, longer guarantee periods to meet the needs of building owners in New Brunswick.
All of the roof systems included in the MRGNB Guarantee Program incorporate features that optimize the performance of the completed roof in the New Brunswick environment, including:
- The experience of the Canadian roofing industry as expressed in the Canadian Roofing Contractors Association (CRCA) Technical Manual – the basis for the MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual;
- The recommendations of roof materials and systems manufacturers that have partnered with the MRGNB to include their materials and systems in our Guarantee Program;
- The requirement for the application to meet or exceed the standards of the MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual. The Manual incorporates enhancements to the requirements expressed in the CRCA Technical Manual, enhancements to the roof material and system manufacturers’ requirements, and the recommendations of the shareholders of the MRGNB and the technical committee of the NBRCA with respect to the performance of roof materials and systems in the New Brunswick environment; and
- The requirement for Quality Assurance Observation (QAO) of the roof installation by properly trained and authorized Observers. This aids in the identification and resolution of unexpected site conditions. It also documents that the application meets or exceeds the requirements expressed in the project-specific technical specifications, the MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual, and the component manufacturers’ technical requirements.
Roof systems installed to the requirements of the MRGNB Guarantee Program provide owners with:
- An enhanced quality standard in design;
- Installation by a reputable contractor with a commitment to quality;
- An installation that has been reviewed during construction by a qualified Quality Assurance Observer; and
- A guarantee covering the system installation workmanship backed by the contractor and the MRGNB and its shareholders.
The MRGNB is pleased to offer 5, 10, 15, and 20 year guarantees on a variety of low slope roof systems that meet the enhanced technical requirements of our current MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual. Please note that roof systems not currently included in the Manual can be technically evaluated by the MRGNB for an extended warranty on a project-specific basis.
MRGNB “Classic” 5 Year Guarantee Program
Roof systems eligible for our “Classic” 5 Year Guarantee Program offer the broadest range of system and component options to the owner and their designer. Our 5 Year Guarantee Program systems are based on generic component requirements and descriptions referencing appropriate national standards.
The features of the “Classic” 5 Year Guarantee Program systems are:
- All the components, assemblies, and details must meet or exceed the requirements of the MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual and the appropriate national standards, and must be understood to be compatible with each other.
- The components for the construction of the roof membrane must come from the membrane system manufacturer to ensure compatibility.
- Other roof system components, including the roof deck cover, vapour retarder, insulation, and/or the insulation cover board may be generically described in the project specification, and may be sourced from manufacturers that meet the appropriate technical requirements, and the requirements of MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual. These components do not need to be from the same manufacturer or supplier as the roof membrane.
- Workmanship related to the installation of the roof system is guaranteed by the contractor and the MRGNB for five full years.
- Materials used in the construction of MRGNB “Classic” 5 Year Guarantee Program systems carry the product performance warranty issued by the individual product manufacturer. This may or may not warrant performance of the material in the context of the particular assembly specified in the project documents. However, some clients may desire the flexibility to incorporate materials from a variety of manufacturers and/or suppliers into the project documents to meet either technical requirements or tendering mandates.
In summary, roof systems installed under the MRGNB “Classic” 5 Year Warranty Program may use combinations of materials provided by one or more manufacturers with the workmanship guaranteed by the MRGNB Program and the materials performance warranty for each component issued by the manufacturer of that product.
MRGNB 10, 15, and 20 Year Proprietary Extended Warranty Program
The MRGNB Proprietary Extended Warranty Program has been developed in cooperation with select membrane system manufacturers. They include:
- Carlisle Syntec (EPDM, PVC, and TPO membrane systems)
- Firestone Building Products Company (EPDM and TPO membrane systems)
- IKO (Modified Bitumen membrane systems)
- Sika Sarnafil (PVC membrane systems)
- Soprema (Modified Bitumen membrane systems)
This program combines the strength and value of the “Classic” 5 Year MRGNB Guarantee Program with long-term warranty coverage provided by the membrane system supplier for up to 20 years.
The features of the Proprietary Extended Warranty Program systems are as follows:
- All the components, assemblies, and details must meet or exceed the requirements of the MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual, appropriate national standards, and the membrane system manufacturers’ requirements.
- The components for the construction of the complete roof system must come from the membrane system manufacturer/supplier to ensure compatibility related to the completed roof system.
- Roof system components, including the roof deck cover, vapour retarder, insulation, insulation cover board, and membrane may be generically described in the project specification. They must be sourced from manufacturers that meet the appropriate technical requirements and the requirements of MRGNB Roofing Specifications Manual. These components must be from the same manufacturer or supplier as the roof membrane.
- Workmanship related to the installation of the roof system is guaranteed by the contractor, and the MRGNB, and by the membrane system manufacturer for the duration of the guarantee,
- Through MRGNB, materials used in these systems carry product and system performance warranties issued by the membrane system manufacturer. They warrant performance of the materials in the context of the particular assembly specified in the project documents.
In summary, roof systems installed under the MRGNB Proprietary Extended Warranty Program must use combinations of materials provided by one manufacturer, or one single supply chain that accepts responsibility for the compatibility and performance of all components for the duration of the Proprietary Extended Warranty.